As Indiana begins to reopen and more drivers return to the road, they will notice the significant progress made on I-69 Finish Line since the stay-at-home order was issued in March. Drivers should be prepared for changes to their commute. Click to see maps of Martinsville, Morgan County and Waverly and activities underway. Read more about Gov. Holcomb’s Back On Track plan, a roadmap to safely reopen Indiana.
I-69 Finish Line construction has moved into Morgan County north of Martinsville. A permanent 45 mph speed limit extends from the south end of the project at Indian Creek through Waverly Road. This is for the safety of motorists and crews and is being enforced by police.
Some of the most noticeable changes are at State Road 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road and Waverly Road where new overpasses are taking shape. Motorists should expect lane closures and possible rolling closures. Crews are driving steel piling into place and pouring concrete footers. Waverly Road is now closed to all traffic at S.R. 37. At Perry Road, the S.R. 37 median is closed and left turns are prohibited. Check out our Progress section below for more work underway and changes in traffic patterns, and sign up here to receive this On Track update each week by email or text message.
- S.R. 39 will be an active spot, from S.R. 37 to S.R. 67, the rest of the construction season. Portions of S.R. 39 are being widened to four lanes to safety accommodate more traffic during next year’s temporary closure of a portion of S.R. 37. Drivers will see flaggers in the area, shifting traffic patterns and various side streets closed. Signage will direct drivers when access to businesses is impacted.
- Crews have rebuilt the outside shoulders of S.R. 37 northbound between Indian Creek and S.R. 39, allowing traffic to shift. Through traffic should merge left. The right lane is exit only onto S.R. 39/Morton Avenue. S.R. 37 is reduced to one lane past the S.R. 39 exit.
- The Grand Valley Boulevard overpass is nearing completion and will provide a new east-west connector for drivers and pedestrians when it opens in late spring. The new Birk Road intersection opened to traffic earlier this month.
- Paving of Old S.R. 37 south of Maple Turn Road and north of Myra Lane should be completed this week. When finished, Old S.R. 37 will permanently close at S.R. 37. Maple Turn access to S.R. 37 will be at Myra Lane.
- Willowbrook Drive will be closed south of Egbert Road. Local traffic will be diverted to a temporary access road.
- Traffic is expected to shift to the inside lane on southbound S.R. 37 near S.R. 39 later this week for installation of a crossover. Traffic is restricted to one lane in the area.
- Daytime closures of Hacker Drive are expected at S.R. 39. Traffic will be rerouted to McDaniel Road and Robin Run.
- The ramp from S.R. 39 to northbound S.R. 37 is expected to close a few evenings this week for pavement patching. The schedule will depend on the weather and other factors.
Reminder: The project office is closed temporarily, but you can call or email with any questions, 855-INDOT-4U and INDOT@indot.in.gov.
About I-69 Finish Line
I-69 Finish Line is the sixth and final section of the Interstate 69 connection between Evansville and Indianapolis. The project will upgrade the existing State Road 37 to interstate standards between Martinsville and Indianapolis.Governor Eric Holcomb’s Next Level Connections program fully funded the $1.5 billion project and accelerated construction by three years. I-69 Finish Line is expected to open to traffic in late 2024, improving safety and reducing travel time.